The Mapungubwe Institute for Strategic Reflection (MISTRA) is pleased to share with you its final newsletter for 2022. We have had a productive year of research and strategic reflection on the Just Transition, Coalitions, Pan-Africanism and Youth Development. In 2023, we look forward to upcoming research on The Evolution of the Structure of the South African Economy and The Underpinnings of Protest in South Africa: Origins and effects. As such, in this issue, we share some working papers from these upcoming priority research publications, due to be launched in the first quarter of 2023, and news about a new member of our Council of Advisors.
Please read on the following:
- Working Paper on Beyond protest: Violence, looting and anarchy in July 2021
- Working Paper on Lifting the colony while improving the metropolis
- Working Paper on Developmental state, social compacting, and economic recovery: South Africa’s experiences through the COVID-19 pandemic
- Prof Derek Swartz joins MISTRA Council of Advisors
- Opinion pieces by MISTRA staff published in the media.
We hope you enjoy this issue.